Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Declutter and Recycle.

When I was working in the real estate business I often heard complaints about lack of storage, well the truth is that the Spanish do not need as much storage as they rarely have any CLUTTER. They have a few ornaments and of course lots of photos but unless it is useful- out it goes! Even with clothes I have often heard them say I have one coat and do not need any more. The result is amazing, a home that is easy to clean, easy to move about in and a very fresh atmosphere. Feng Shui or Traditional Spain?

I find this very hard as I am a hoarder and so I have tried to make a few simple rules that I can work by to help me out. I have often heard "If you have not worn it in 6 months get rid of it", well I have to say 18 months as of course we have to have a summer and a winter wardrobe here and the big change overs; as the beach gear re appears or is put away again, are excellent times to move some of those old items out and an excellent time to recycle.

Once I declared war on clutter it was tempting to run out and buy storage boxes and files etc but I have found that these are rarely used and in the end a waste of money. I usually come across something that will do the job perfectly well in the house.

I did try the big bang and throw everything in the middle of the room but then ran out of time and energy, so by starting small I have been able to go through the house and appreciate the space as it develops. There is a sence of axuillerating pride when you look at the work which inspires for the next decluttering project.

In this time of crisis many charities are desperate for items, The Lion's Club, Cudecca, and Age Concern all have shops along the coast. Another charity is run by our local Catholic Church which uses every item of clothing either by passing onto other families or as scrap material which is purchased from them. Another option which I have yet to try is go to a "rastro" / car booty. Coin,  Fuengirola and Benalmadena ( Tivoli world) all have regular rastros and a new car boot fair is now running at the Hippodrome Mijas Costa on Sunday mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment